The multiple flavors in the stuffing blend well together and keep the breast moist and tender. My favorite chicken recipe--goes great with steamed asparagus and steamed potato.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the chicken breast in half not going all the way through and spread open, lightly tap down flat with mallet.
- Salt and pepper breast on both sides to taste.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan and add onion, pepper, 3 garlic cloves, mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms and onions soften.
- Now add spinach and basil leaves until spinach softens.
- Remove combination from frying pan and place in a bowl to add the feta cheese, the last garlic clove, salt and pepper to taste; mix completely.
- Place equal amounts of mixture on the breast and roll the breast. Secure with toothpick or string.
- Grease a cookie sheet with butter (any pan will do) and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
Knew everyone was enjoying this dish when there was silence at the table. Omitted the mushrooms and basil because I didn't have them. Used olive oil on the bottom of the baking pan as well as drizzled over the breast & sprinkled Italian seasoning on them instead of salt & pepper. Took at least 40 minutes to bake since they were a little thick. Excellent Flavors, definitely make again, great basic recipe that you can easily change up with whatever flavors you prefer or have on hand.
This recipe has become a family favorite! I use 4 inch bamboo skewer sticks to hold everything together and it works like a charm. I also substitute goat cheese for feta when feel like experiencing a richer flavor. By far my favorite recipe!
Great Dish! Simple, yet sophisticated. I omitted the sun dried tomatoes all together, because they don't carry it at my local store. I also found thinly sliced whole chicken breasts, which made my job very easy. Next time I might sear the chicken before putting it in the oven, for some color. Thank you.