Recipe by Sarah
I used rice crackers to crumb the chicken as I can't have gluten, so you could just substitute these with regular bread crumbs. The rice crackers turned out nice and crunchy, but don't brown up.
Top Review by **Jubes**
*Delicious* Fantastic chicken. These were quite easy to make and the directions were clear and simple. I added the water with the beaten eggs. I used grated mozzarella and baby spinach leaves as these were all that was available. I also used "Orgran" brand rice crumbs in place of the rice crackers. It was so good to use a recipe that was already suitable to my gluten-free diet. I sprayed the chicken with cooking oil before placing in the oven and they browned up nicely. The fresh basil leaves and semi-dried tomatoes were great additions. My whole family loved these and we will be making again. I rolled my chicken carefully and secured them with two toothpicks per breast roll- then removed the picks prior to serving. I think these would work well to prepare in advance and freeze. Then could be cooked from forzen (allowing extra time of course!). Photo also being posted
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 12 -16 semi dried tomatoes
- 8 leaves basil
- 8 leaves spinach
- 1 (100 g) packetplain rice crackers, about 64 crackers
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover each breast with plastic wrap and pound to approximately a 6mm (1/4) thickness, taking care not to make any holes.
- Lay meat out, and just inside one edge lay a piece of mozzarella, black pepper to taste, 3 or 4 of the s/d tomatoes, 2 spinach leaves and 2-3 basil leaves (depending on size).
- Fold breast over, and secure with toothpicks or skewers (I used 4 toothpicks per breast) Grind rice crackers using a food processor, rolling pin or mortar and pestle until they are the consistency of normal breadcrumbs.
- Mix garlic powder, parsely and freshly ground black pepper into rice cracker crumbs.
- Dip the stuffed breasts into beaten egg and coat well with crumbs.
- Bake in a 200c oven for the first 20mins, then turn down to 180c for another 10 mins or until chicken is cooked through.