Recipe by Rita~
This is a twist on the chicken cordon bleu. Filled with sundried tomatoes, herbs, cheese, and prosciutto. If using fresh garlic in place of the roasted cut back on it. Chicken breast is low in fat and cooks very quick so do not overcook!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 4 -6 roasted garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs (parsley, basil, and oregano)
- 2 tablespoons minced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded gruyere
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1⁄4 cup flour, divided in 1/2
- olive oil
- 2 cups minced vidalia onions
- 3⁄4 cup sweet vermouth (or dry)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb farfalle pasta, cooked according to package
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large ziplock bag place one breast at a time; and close bag leaving 2 inches open; pound with a mallet till 3/4 inches thick.
- Season each with seasoned salt and distribute the garlic on each; following with herbs, tomatoes, cheese, pine nuts, then lay a slice of prosciutto on each.
- Roll each breast up and tie securing with cotton string to secure filling both lengthwise and crosswise.
- Dust each roll with 1/8 cup of flour. Shake off excess.
- Heat a large frying pan add olive oil to coat bottom of pan.
- Saute onions for 3 minutes stirring.
- Push onions aside add oil if needed and brown chicken turning on each side after a minute per side, 4 minutes in all.
- Add sweet vermouth to deglaze simmer while mixing 1/8 cup of the remaining flour with water to make a slurry.
- Remove only the chicken and place under foil to keep warm.
- Add slurry to pan with broth simmering and stirring till thicken about 5 minutes when no flour taste remains. Place chicken in the sauce just to coat then remove.
- Toss cooked pasta into the sauce.
- Plate pasta on optional fresh spinach then place sliced chicken on pasta.
- Or chop spinach and toss into hot pasta just before serving just to wilt then top with sliced chicken.
- Garnish with basil.