2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 35 mins
Carrie Ann's Note:
This recipe,taken from a local art gallery cook book, is one I've been making for special occasions for over 20 years.The consomme really is the integral ingredient in this dish, but if you don't care for it, chicken broth can be substituted, but with less impressive results.When I make these for a dinner party, I stuff the "birds" in the morning and then keep all the ingredients for the sauce pre-measured and ready to go. This cuts down the amound of running around in the kitchen, and leaves more time for the guests.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 lb mushroom, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 can consomme
- 1/4 lb cooked ham, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1Flatten chicken breasts to a uniform thickness.
- 2Filling: Melt butter in skillet and add garlic and mushrooms; saute for 5 minutes.
- 3Add wine and cook over high heat until liquid is reduced by half.
- 4Stir in consomme and cook for 10 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat and add egg yolk and sherry; mix to bind.
- 6Divide filling into equal portions and place in centre of chicken breasts.
- 7Roll breasts up, folding in sides and secure with toothpicks.
- 8Tie carefully with string at each end.
- 9Sauce: Melt butter in a large skillet and brown chicken on all sides.
- 10Cover pan and let them cook at a low simmer for 1 1/4 hours.
- 11Remove chicken from skillet.
- 12Add wine to skillet, scraping up all the brown bits on the bottom of pan.
- 13Cook over high heat until liquid is reduced by half.
- 14Add chicken stock and cornstarch mixed to a paste with 3 tablespoons of wine.
- 15Add"birds" and simmer, covered for 20 minutes or until done.
- 16Remove toothpicks and string and transfer to a serving platter.
- 17Sieve sauce over them and garnish with chopped sauted mushrooms.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed "Chicken Birds"
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 439.8
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 152.0 mg
- Sodium 524.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 36.7 g