Recipe by Tulsi Regmi
This is an excellent savory appetizer made of rice pancakes and stuffed with or without vegetarian or non-vegetarian mixture. Original recipe does not normally call for soaked lentils, but the addition thatof takes this preparation to another level.
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 cup black lentils (black dal)
- 1 cup moong lentils (moong dal)
- 2 tablespoons ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 green chilies, roughly chopped
- 1 cup water (more as required)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- clarified butter
- 1⁄2 lb minced chicken (lamb can be used)
- 1 cup finely dices red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely chopped scallion
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 2 fresh green chilies, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh tomato, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
Directions See How It's Made
- For rice crepes, soak rice and the lentils in water overnight.
- Rinse the soaked rice and lentils mixture thoroughly.
- In a blender, combine the soaked rice and lentil mixture, ginger and chilies, and water to form a smooth batter-like paste.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl; add salt to taste; mix thoroughly.
- You may need to add more water if necessary to achieve the consistency similar to crepe mixture.
- Let the batter rest for at least six hours in the refrigerator.
- To prepare rice crepes, in a non-stick frying pan heat a tablespoon of clarified butter over medium-low heat.
- Pour in some batter and spread out into a paper-thin crepe.
- Cook until the bottom has crisped up; turn over and cook the other side.
- Remove the cooked crepe and reserve in a container with tight lid.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- For stuffing, heat oil in a non-stick sauté pan; fry garlic and ginger until light brown.
- Put in minced meat, salt and pepper.
- Brown the meat and add chopped bell pepper, celery, minced chilies, chopped tomatoes, and chopped scallion.
- Stir in for a few of minutes in low heat until all ingredients are cooked.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Reserve in a large plate to cool.
- On a large plate, put a rice crepe and brush on lightly with some clarified butter.
- Place one and half tablespoons of stuffing mixture in the middle of the crepe and spread out across the middle.
- Fold one edge over the mixture and roll up.
- Repeat with the other pancakes.
- Arrange them in a large plate, topped with achar to serve.