Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From one of my favourite cookbooks "Island cookery -Quadra Island Child Care Society". Real nice way to serve chard, with more taste than cabbage rolls, also a nice change from the usual tomato sauce. I like to sprinkle them with grated parmesan.
- 16 outer chard leaves
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup cottage cheese
- 3⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Saute onion in oil and mix all ingredients together except chard.
- Remove the stem on the chard and place about 2 tbsp filling on the underside of the leaf.
- Roll up, folding in the sides to make a tight little packet.
- Place seam side down in a greased casserole.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes at 350°F.
This is not a pretty recipe even with rainbow Chard but it is a very delicious recipe. I made these for a fussy almost vegetarian and she loved them. The one change I made was to substitute the brown rice with mixed white & wild (I thought had brown rice in the cupboard but none was to be found). I put apprx 5 tbsp of filling in each and cut the recipe back to 6 large rolls. Derf this is a recipe that will be made again & again- Thanks for a delicious dinner
I thought we would like these. The idea is a good one, but the combo of flavors inside, my family just didn't care for it. Maybe someone else might though.