Recipe by moparmotion
This is one of my favorite recipes. It's very easy to adapt to your own tastes. I found the recipe on the back of a package of chard seeds I purchased years ago. I have changed the recipe here and there, as it originally called for lamb and no one in my family likes it. I hope you enjoy it. it takes some work, but it is the most delicious entree I've ever cooked! *Note: you can substitute yogurt for the sour cream for a lighter meal, the change is not noticeable in the overall meal*
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground veal or 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄4 lbs ground turkey
- 1⁄4 lb ground lean pork (optional, add 1/4lb of main meat choice instead if you omit the pork)
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 15 chard leaves, large, stems removed and reserved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- lemon slice
- fresh yogurt
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix meat filling ingredients well and set aside.
- Immerse chard leaves, 4-5 at a time, in boiling water until limp. Drain well, discard water.
- Lay chard leaves out flat. Mound meat filling in center. Fold sides of leaves over center, then fold top and bottom over. Roll each leaf into a compact bundle.
- Finely chop reserved chard leaves. Melt butter over medium heat and saute onions and chopped chard until onion is soft.
- Lay chard bundles on top of sauted vegetables, add chicken stock and sprinkle with lemon juice. Drizzle 1-2 tbsp of olive oil over bundles.
- Simmer until done, approximately 35 minutes, over low heat.
- To serve, place a few bundles in a bowl and pour the broth into the bowl until they are half-covered. then put a double or two of plain yogurt or sour cream on top. Enjoy!