1/1 Photo of Stuffed Cha-Cha Crab Chilies
This took 2nd place in the Gilroy Garlic Festival Cook-Off. I used to live so close to Gilroy that I could smell the garlic in the air. I still love garlic, and the sauce for these chiles has a nice garlic flavor. I also served it with mango salsa which complimented the crab perfectly. Congratulations Margee Berry!.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 small onion, quartered and peeled
- 6 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 large poblano peppers
- 4 ounces smooth mild goat cheese (I used cream cheese at room temp.)
- 3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (may need a bit more)
- 12 ounces cooked crabmeat, picked through for shells and cartilage
- 1Preheat broiler.
- 2For the sauce: Place tomatillos, onions, and garlic in a large heavy skillet. Heat over medium-high heat, turning often, until charred all over but still firm, about 5- 10 minutes. Transfer mixture to a food processor and add cumin, cayenne, hot sauce, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Process to a coarse puree. Return mixture to skillet and keep warm while preparing the stuffed chilies.
- 3For the chilies: Place poblanos on a baking sheet and broil, turning a few times until all sides are charred. Place in a paper bag and seal. Let steam about 10 minutes to loosen the skin.
- 4Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the goat cheese, Monterey Jack and crabmeat. Set aside.
- 5Peel poblanos, then cut a slit lengthwise down 1 side only, and carefully remove seeds. Stuff each with cheese mixture and place them cut side up on a baking sheet, gently pressing to seal. Broil until cheese is melted and poblanos are heated through, about 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to serving plates and spoon sauce around the stuffed chilies.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Cha-Cha Crab Chilies
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.7
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 51.3 mg
- Sodium 872.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 21.3 g