Recipe by BecR
Definitely a requirement for the holiday appetizer tray! An old-school hors d'oeuvre that is worth the extra step of peeling the celery before stuffing it. If you would like an elegant party presentation, pipe the filling into the celery sticks and serve them on a platter of lettuce and crushed ice. Fabulous! Serves 4. Adapted from Saveur. Tip: You can make the filling a day ahead and refrigerate, then fill the next day.
- 6 ounces crumbled blue cheese, at room temperature (preferably Roquefort)
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- green leaf lettuce, for garnish
- crushed ice (optional)
- 10 celery ribs, ends trimmed
- paprika, for garnish
- 5 pitted black california olives, halved, for garnish
- fresh curly-leaf parsley, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the blue cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, worcestershire, and hot sauce. Beat until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Using kitchen shears, cut 1⁄4" from a corner of a 1-qt. resealable plastic bag and fit with a small pastry tip. Using a rubber spatula, transfer the cheese mixture to the bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Arrange lettuce on a platter and top with 1 cup crushed ice (if using). Line platter with celery sticks. Pipe about 2 tablespoons chilled cheese mixture into each celery stick. Sprinkle paprika over celery and garnish each with an olive half and parsley.