An imaginative way to prepare and cook this popular vegetable. First blanch the cauliflower and then stuff it with spiced ground beef. Always a winner, I have cooked this for todays dinner.
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled and grated
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 10 curry leaves (optional)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- Blanch the cauliflower in boiling water for 5 minutes Drain and set aside to cool.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds, when they start to pop add the onion and fry for 4 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the meat and stir fry till it is crumbly and the liquid has evaporated.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, and chilli powder, and the diced tomatoes. Stir and fry for 3 minutes Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 10 minutes Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Put the cauliflower on a plate stem side up, fill the spaces between the florets with as much of the meat mix as possible.
- Turn the cauliflower over and gently pull the florets apart and fill with the rest of the meat.
- Heat the remaining oil and add the mustard seeds, when they pop add the add the cumin and curry leaves (if using).
- Place the cauliflower right way up on the seasoned oil, cover with a lid and cook on medium heat till the cauliflower is cooked.
- Serve the cauliflower on a serving dish with any remaining meat and juices from the pan around the cauliflower.
- Garnish with the eggs and tomatoes.