Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This dish is an old family favourite. It is ideal for dinner parties, special occasions and especially on cold winter nights. It is wonderfully tasty and filling.
- 8 green capsicum
- 500 g minced beef
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Finely chop one onion and two of the garlic cloves and saute until translucent in some olive oil.
- Add the minced beef and cook until it changes colour.
- Add salt, pepper, tomato paste, paprika and finely chopped parsley to the meat, then set aside.
- Bring plenty of salted water to the boil, and cook the rice until it is firm.
- It is important not to overcook the rice, as it will finish softening later.
- Add the rice to the meat mixture.
- Cut the tops off the capsicums and remove the core and seeds.
- 3/4 fill each capsicum with the meat and rice mixture, replacing the tops when done.
- Arrange stuffed capsicums in a large casserole or oven proof dish.
- Make a sauce for the capsicums: add the other chopped onion and remaining garlic cloves to some olive oil and cook.
- Add crushed tomatoes, salt& pepper, paprika, sugar and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle this sauce over the capsicums, cover and bake in a preheated 180C oven for 45 minutes, or until the capsicums are tender.
- Remove from oven earlier if the capsicums begin to fall apart.