Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe originated from my aunt Julia, years ago. My mother decided to add the brown sugar and vinegar. This is loved by everyone that my mom has prepared it for. All of the cooks in our family make it this way now.
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 egg
- rice (cooked Minute, just enough to blend in with meat)
- 29.58 ml vinegar
- 29.58-44.37 ml brown sugar, to taste
- ground beef (enough to fill as many cabbage rolls as you want to make)
- salt and pepper
- 793.78 g can tomato sauce
- Put cabbage in water over med to high heat.
- Pull leaves off as they get soft and set aside.
- They only need to be soft enought to wrap around the meat mixture.
- Mix hamburger, rice (just enough to blend in with meat), egg, salt& pepper.
- Place enough beef to fit easily in cabbage leafs, roll up and place in a large roasting pan that has a lid, seam side down.
- Mix tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, a little water swished around in the can for extra liquid, taste. The sauce should be tangy-sweet.
- Pour sauce over cabbage rolls.
- Cover and bake at 350 about 4 hours.