Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I got this recipe from a back issue of BBC Good Food magazine. It is the simplest and best of all stuffed cabbage recipes. Use any kind of cabbage, as long as it is fresh, but be sure to use the finest quality sausages. Then just let them cookdown together very slowly. don't hurry it by raising the heat, it will simply burn and you'll be sorry.
- 4 lbs savoy cabbage or 4 lbs white cabbage or 4 lbs green cabbage, thickly shredded
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 3⁄4 lbs good quality pork sausage links, skinned
- Preheat oven to 130*C (275*F).
- Cook the cabbage in boiling salted water for 4 minutes or so, then drain and run under the cold tap.
- Drain again thoroughly.
- Butter a deep oven proof dish generously with half the butter.
- Cover the base with a third of the cabbage.
- Season well.
- Arrange half the sausagemeat over the cabbage, flattening it out a bit with your fingertips so that it covers it reasonably well, pressing down as you go.
- Repeat these layers and then finish with a final layer of cabbage.
- Season again with salt and pepper.
- Dot with remaining butter, cover tightly and bake for 2 1/2 hours until the cabbage is as tender as butter.
Another winner, Mary Alice!! This gets five stars just for pleasing my picky DH. And so simple to do. I halved the recipe for the two of us and I used smoked beef sausage because that's what I had on hand. Tender, flavorful, and delicious! Thanks for posting!
WOW! Made this for our supper last night and it was delicious. It melted in your mouth and the flavour was incredible. My husband who is not overly fond of cabbage asked me to make it again, which is a real compliment. Thanks!