1/2 Photos of Stuffed Cabbage Stoup
I was watching Rachael Ray the other day and wanted to save this recipe. It sounds delish! Update: I have since made this stoup since posting and I really love it. The flavor of the coriander and paprika are delicious. One thing I did that Rachael suggested on the show is to actually add the rice to each bowl when you serve it. That way it won't soak up all the broth, particularly when you have leftovers. That is, if you have leftovers!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup raw white rice
- 1 quart chicken stock (plus 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 lbs ground meatloaf mixture (a combination of beef, pork and veal)
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (or sweet if you can't find the smoked)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced with a vegetable peeler into strips, then finely chopped
- 1/2-3/4 head savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
- 1Heat a sauce pot over medium-heat 2 T olive oil.
- 2Add the rice and toss to coat in oil.
- 3Add 2 cups chicken stock, bring up to simmer.
- 4Cover and cook for 16-18 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- 5Heat a deep pot over medium high heat.
- 6Add the remaining olive oil, once hot add meat and begin to brown, 2-3 minutes.
- 7Season the meat with allspice, coriander, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- 8Add bay leaf, onions, garlic and carrots.
- 9Cook veggies 2-3 minutes to begin to soften them, then add cabbage and wilt it down a bit.
- 10Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and remaining stock and cover the pot.
- 11Raise the heat to high and bring the soup to a simmer.
- 12Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 13Once the rice is cooked, add to the soup and continue to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 14Stir in parsley and dill, adjust salt and pepper to your taste and serve.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Cabbage Stoup
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.6
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 4.8 mg
- Sodium 461.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 8.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: