Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Had something like this once. Had lots of left over things on hand just had to try it. If there are any leftovers this heats well in the microwave.
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 0.5 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 1⁄4 cup Minute Rice
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄8 cup apple cider
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon or 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 6 slices monterey jack pepper cheese (or what you prefer) (optional)
- In large pot cook turkey, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover& simmer 1-1/2 hrs or until vegetables are tender.
- Place in bowls.
- If desired place a slice of cheese on each bowl, allowing it to melt a little.
This was a great change of pace for traditional cabbage rolls! I loved it! The next time I'm gonna use ground beef and hot hungarian papricka instead of the turkey/Old Bay that were so good. But I'm a Polish guy, what do you expect! I also used a large head of cabbage and 1/3 cup of long grain rice. Everyone should try this at least once!