Recipe by Katha
Had something like this once. Had lots of left over things on hand just had to try it. If there are any leftovers this heats well in the microwave.
Top Review by RonnieC
This was a great change of pace for traditional cabbage rolls! I loved it! The next time I'm gonna use ground beef and hot hungarian papricka instead of the turkey/Old Bay that were so good. But I'm a Polish guy, what do you expect! I also used a large head of cabbage and 1/3 cup of long grain rice. Everyone should try this at least once!
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 0.5 (16 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 1⁄4 cup Minute Rice
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄8 cup apple cider
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon or 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 6 slices monterey jack pepper cheese (or what you prefer) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot cook turkey, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover& simmer 1-1/2 hrs or until vegetables are tender.
- Place in bowls.
- If desired place a slice of cheese on each bowl, allowing it to melt a little.