Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This was a Rachael Ray recipe that I adapted to be lower fat/more WW friendly, and to suit my family's tastes. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb ground round or 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb lean pork sausage, Jimmy Dean Light works well
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 large head napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- cooked white rice
- Heat large stock pot and begin to brown beef and pork. Add onion and carrot, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until meat and veggies are cooked through.
- Drain all fat from the pan.
- Add remaining spices, tomatoes and tomato sauce and bring to simmer.
- Add cabbage and stir well.
- Simmer soup 30 minutes or more.
- Serve soup as is or with a scoop of cooked white rice in the bowl.
Fast and flavorful! Perfectly seasoned - not your typical cabbage soup. I used ground turkey instead of beef. You did not say when to add the broth so I did in Step #4.
we used moose meat and no pork....left out the dill and parsley....good soup
Here's the story....I was making the soup,and had added all the ingredients except for the dill and the tomato sauce,when my son proclaimed it is perfect now don't add anything else. The seasoning makes the soup. The soup got a 5 star rating without the dill and tomato sauce. I intend to make again with the full list of ingredients and have it last long enough for a photo.Reviewed for PAC spring 2009