Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My healthy cabbage roll recipe that works with the weight watchers core plan.
For the rolls
- 15 cabbage leaves, softened in boiling water
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 large sweet onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots, cut the larger ones in half
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 anaheim chili, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄3 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
For the sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- 1 cup beef broth
- Combine all ingredients for the rolls except for the beef, rice and cous cous in a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Remove chopped veggies to a large mixing bowl and mix in the beef, rice and cous cous until well combined. I use my hands for this.
- Take a handful of the beef mixture and wad into a ball and roll up in a cabbage leaf. Arrange rolls in a large baking pan. Repeat until all rolls are made.
- Combine ingredients for the tomato sauce, except for the beef broth. Pour tomato sauce over the cabbage rolls and then pour the beef broth into the bottom of the pan around the rolls.
- Tightly seal pan with foil, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 375°F.
Excellent meal. My family loved it and I felt great about fixing it because it was healthy. Thank you, DK