Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- Cook leaves in boiling water for 5 minutes; drain.
- Combine beef, bread crumbs, onion, eggs, and seasonings.
- Shape meat mixture into 8 rolls; wrap cabbage leaves around securely.
- Pour 1 can condensed tomato soup into skillet.
- Add cabbage rolls.
- Cover, bring to boil.
- Simmer 35 minutes, spooning sauce over rolls occasionally.
I find the easiest way to pre-cook and soften the cabbage leaves is to core the cabbage, then place the entire head in a covered stock pot of boiling water. After about 4 minutes, carefully lift the head of cabbage out of the pot using 2 large cooking spoons; place on a dinner plate and remove the soft outer leaves. Again place the remaining head of cabbage back into the boiling water and repeat the process until all the leaves are softened and have been removed. I bake the cabbage rolls in a 325 degree oven for approximately 2 hours. This slower cooking permits the flavors to mature and also ensures tender cabbage leaves.
If you use a can of tomato sauce in place of the soup,and,1/2 can of cider vinegar with 1/2 can water (useing the tomato sauce can), you will have really delicious stuffed cabbage with a zest. Pepper barlow size tomato sauce- 15 oz.Can
These were good, however, I do prefer the rice to the bread crumbs. The tomato soup (although I do use tomato soup quite a bit) alone doesn't have enough "Zing" for Cabbage Rolls.