Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great Polish meal - this is my Moms she likes to cook it on the stove I like it cooked in the oven. This should make around 16 golabki's
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 2 lbs chop meat (lean)
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 5 (10 ounce) cans tomato soup (condense soup)
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl add mix Chop Meat, Egg, and Salt and Pepper then add the Rice.
- Add one can of Tomato soup to chop meat mixture, mix well.
- Set mixture until ready to stuff the cabbage leaves.
- To prepare the Cabbage leaves Boil water in a pot big enough to hold a head of cabbage.
- Then cut out the core of the cabbage and place the head of cabbage in the hot water then wait 2-3 minutes take out cabbage and start removing the outer leaves set them aside.
- Repeat until all leaves are removed.
- Starting with the larger leaves place around 1/3 cup of the filler mixture in center of leave.
- Fold leave in half- Tuck in the left and right side of leave and then roll the rest of the way.
- Repeat until leaves or mixture is finished (as the leaves get smaller use less filler).
- If you cook on top of stove method- Line bottom of pot with any leftover un-stuffed leaves to prevent burning of stuffed cabbage.
- Then line pot with a row of stuffed cabbage and add some tomato soup.
- Repeat until you placed all stuffed cabbage in the pot.
- Cook on a simmer for around 1 ½ hour.
- If you use the Oven or a Roasting Oven Pre-heat oven to 375 in a baking dish line stuffed cabbage in rows then add tomato soup for each row Cook for 1 hour with a lid then remove lid and cook ½ hour more (except dont remove lid in the roasting oven).
I LOVE this recipe! It serves a lot more than 5 people, I would say 8 or more! The only change I would suggest is to try Recipe #305376 instead of boiling the entire head of cabbage. Thanks Phil from an Exit 98er!