1 hr 25 mins
Saw Tyler Florence make these on one of his shows. They looked very interesting, the end result has been tweaked and changed a bit. They now remind me of the Cabbage Rolls at my mother's house. These are very good and sweet & sour! They are also made with Brown Sugar Splenda. Just a little reminder, these taste better the next day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Sweet and Sour Tomato Sauce
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 quarts crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or 2 tablespoons splenda brown sugar substitute
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground coarse black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- dry red wine (splash)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 lbs ground lean meat
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups steamed cooked white rice
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 heads green cabbage, about 3 lbs each
- 24 -30 ginger snaps
- 8 -10 ginger snaps
- 2Coat a 3 quart saucepan with the oil and place over medium heat.
- 3Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- 4Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- 5Add the vinegar and sugar; simmer, until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- 6Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- 7Set aside.
- 8Cabbage Rolls:.
- 9Place a skillet over medium heat and coat with 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil.
- 10Saute the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until soft.
- 11Stir in the tomato paste, a splash of wine, parsley and 3/4 cup of the prepared sweet and sour tomato sauce, mix to incorporate and then take off the heat.
- 12Combine the ground meat in a large mixing bowl.
- 13Add the egg, the cooked rice, and the sauteed onion mixture.
- 14Toss the filling together with your hands to combine, season with a generous amount of salt & pepper.
- 15Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 16Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- 17Remove the large, damaged outer leaves from the cabbage and set aside.
- 18Cut out the cores of the cabbages with a sharp knife carefully pull off all the rest of the leaves, keeping them whole and as undamaged as possible, (get rid of all the small leaves and use them for coleslaw or cabbage with onions & noodles).
- 19Blanch the cabbage leaves in the pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes, or until pliable.
- 20Run the leaves under cool water then lay them out so you can assess just how many blankets you have to wrap up the filling.
- 21Next, carefully cut out the center vein from leaves so they will be easier to roll up.
- 22Take the reserved outer leaves and lay them on the bottom of small roasting pan, let part of the leaves hang out the sides of the small roasting pan.
- 23This insulation will prevent cabbage rolls from burning on the bottom when baked.
- 24Break up 24-30 of the cookies and lay them over the leaves.
- 25Put 1/2 cup of meat filling in the center of the cabbage and starting at what was the stem-end, fold the sides in and roll up the cabbage to enclose the filling.
- 26Place the cabbage rolls side by side in rows, seam-side down, in a small roasting pan.
- 27Pour the remaining sweet and sour tomato sauce over the cabbage rolls.
- 28If desired, pour remaining cookies over the top.
- 29Fold the hanging leaves over the top to enclose and keep the moisture inches.
- 30Drizzle the top with the remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil.
- 31Bake for 1 hour until the meat is cooked.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Galumkis or Galumkis)
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 557.8
- Calories from Fat 311
- Total Fat 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 21.1 mg
- Sodium 901.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 26.3 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar