Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
If you like cabbage, you will love this recipe. It's very easy to make, and you can't wait to eat it. The aromas are wonderful while it is cooking.
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large green cabbage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 medium green pepper, grated
- 2 stalks celery, with leaves,finely chopped
- 3 cups tomato sauce or 3 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons red wine
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled,cored and chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (optional)
- In a large stockpot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.
- Removed the center core of the cabbage.
- Add cabbage to the water and cook for 3 minutes.
- Outer leaves turn bright green and are tender when ready.
- Lift the cabbage from water, and remove outer leaves.
- Place leaves on paper towel to remove water.
- Return cabbage to boiling water.
- Repeat cooking and removing leaves until all leaves are cooked.
- Reserve two cups cabbage cooking water.
- Trim center vein from bottom of each leaf.
- Save the 4 largest outer leaves to line the bottom of the dutch oven.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add garlic and onion, cook till golden and tender.
- In a large bowl, combine onion mixture, beef, pork, rice, salt, pepper, parsley, paprika, sage, thyme, red pepper flakes, green pepper and celery.
- Line the bottom of a 5 quart dutch oven with the 4 large cabbage leaves.
- Fill 1 cabbage leaf with meat/rice mixture, approx.
- 1/3 cup.
- Fold sides of cabbage over filling and roll the leaf up.
- Repeat with remaining leaves and filling.
- Place stuffed cabbage leaves into the dutch oven.
- In a bowl, combine tomato sauce, red wine, chicken stock and tomato paste, pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pour some of the sauce mixture over the stuffed cabbage rolls to completely cover them.
- Reserve the rest of the sauce.
- Sprinkle apple over the top.
- Bring to a simmer, turn to low heat and cover.
- Check the pot often, adding additional sauce or reserve cabbage water, as needed to keep moist.
- Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the leaves are tender.
- Optional: Place sour cream in a small bowl.
- Add about 3/4 cup of tomato sauce from dutch oven.
- Combine mixture with a whisk.
- Stir the sour cream mixture back into the dutch oven to combine.
- You are now ready to serve.
- Garnish with more sour cream as desired.
These were absolutely delicious!! Well worth the effort. The meat/rice mixture had so much flavor and the sauce complimented the cabbage so much. Everything melded together perfectly. I forgot all about adding the sour cream at the end and they were still great. Thanks Christine for such a nice recipe.