Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is adapted from Cook's Illustrated. The original recipe calls for 3/4 pound beef and 3/4 pound bratwurst, but I adjust that to 1 pound beef and 1/2 pound bratwurst, since it's easier to buy beef in 1-pound quantities. It's very good!
- 1 green cabbage, cored
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices white bread, torn into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 lb 85% lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb bratwurst, uncooked, casings removed
- Heat oven to 350. Place cabbage in bowl, wrapped with plastic wrap, and microwave until outer leaves are pliable and translucent, 3 to 6 minutes. Carefully remove outer leaves and set aside. Replace plastic and repeat until you have 15 to 17 large, intact leaves.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook onion about 5 minutes. And garlic, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg and cook about 30 seconds. Transfer half of mixture to small bowl and reserve. Off heat, stir tomato sauce, sugar, vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper into remaining mixture in Dutch oven.
- Pulse bread and milk in food processor to form smooth paste. Add reserved onion mixture, beef, bratwurst, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper, and pulse to combine.
- Using a sharp knife, trim tough ribs from cabbage leaves by making one slice down the length of the left and right side of each rib. Roll 2 tablespoons of meat mixture into each leaf and arrange seam-side-down in 9x13-inch baking dish. Pour sauce over rolls, cover with foil, and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 more minutes to slightly thicken sauce. Serve.