1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Wendys Kitchen's Note:
From Ina Garten / Food Network.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes and their juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large head savoy cabbage or 1 large green cabbage, including outer leaves
For the filling
- 1For the sauce, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onions, and cook over medium-low heat for 8 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Add the tomatoes, vinegar, brown sugar, raisins, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 3Remove the entire core of the cabbage with a paring knife. Immerse the head of cabbage in the boiling water for a few minutes, peeling off each leaf with tongs as soon as it s flexible. Set the leaves aside. Depending on the size of each leaf, you will need at least 14 leaves.
- 4For the filling, in a large bowl, combine the ground chuck, eggs, onion, breadcrumbs, rice, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add 1 cup of the sauce to the meat mixture and mix lightly with a fork.
- 5Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 6To assemble, place 1 cup of the sauce in the bottom of a large Dutch oven. Remove the hard triangular rib from the base of each cabbage leaf with a small paring knife. Place 1/3 to 1/2 cup of filling in an oval shape near the rib edge of each leaf and roll up toward the outer edge, tucking the sides in as you roll. Place half the cabbage rolls, seam sides down, over the sauce. Add more sauce and more cabbage rolls alternately until you ve placed all the cabbage rolls in the pot. Pour the remaining sauce over the cabbage rolls. Cover the dish tightly with the lid and bake for 1 hour or until the meat is cooked and the rice is tender. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Cabbage Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 753.5
- Calories from Fat 381
- Total Fat 42.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 234.5 mg
- Sodium 1096.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 27.8 g
- Protein 39.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: