Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A nice Polish dish with a lovely sauce to go with. Great for Autumn.
Make and share this Stuffed Cabbage on Sauerkraut recipe from Food.com.
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 lb sauerkraut, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
For Lemon Cream Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Simmer the cabbage in boiling water (just enough to cover) in a large pot for 20 minutes; remove cabbage and drain, cool.
- Separate all the large leaves, trying not to tear; pat leaves dry; cut out the thick spines; snip huge leaves in half to make 2 smaller ones.
- Meanwhile, while cabbage is cooking, cook the bacon in a skillet about 4 minutes, then add the onions and garlic, cooking until the onions are tender, about 3 minutes more.
- Cook the rice in the boiling water in a small pan until almost tender, then drain.
- Add the rice to the onions in the skillet, along with the beef, paprika, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Simmer the beef, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes, then cool slightly before stirring in the egg.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the cabbage leaves flat; spoon a heaping tablespoonful of the meat/rice mixture onto each leaf.
- Tuck in the sides, and roll up, envelope style, making sure the meat is entirely enclosed (wrap another leaf around if you need to).
- Line the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan with the sauerkraut, and place the cabbage rolls seam side down in the dish, on top of the kraut.
- Blend the beef broth with the tomato paste in a saucepan until it reaches a boil, then pour evenly over the cabbage rolls.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce: melt the margarine in a small saucepan; stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in the light cream until smooth, then add the lemon juice.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens, and is bubbly.
- When rolls are done, place a bed of the kraut on a serving platter and pile rolls on top; pour lemon cream sauce over rolls and serve.