Recipe by Timothy H.
These STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS are enjoyed all around the world! There have been many imitations but very few passed down from the OLD COUNTRY that taste as good as these and so very easy to make.They also freeze very well!Give them a try and you will not be dissappointed!
Top Review by FloridaNative
These were AWESOME! Made them in the crock-pot, but didn't have pizza sauce so I used some spaghetti sauce. I used hot chicken italian sausage instead of polish/bratwurst, as we don't eat pork. Mixture of spices/meat and rice was delicious. Will definitely make these again. Thanks Timothy for the great recipe. Made for FALL 2008 PAC.
- 1 head cabbage, about 4 to 5 pounds
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 lb Polish sausage
- 1⁄2 cup rice, uncooked
- 15 ounces canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 cup pizza sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Take the head of cabbage and wrap in plastic and put it in freezer a day ahead.The next day let thaw and remove the core of the cabbage. This can be done in advance also.
- After the cabbage is thawed and core removed, start separating the leaves from the cabbage and set aside. They will come off easier than blanching.
- PLEASE NOTE:I USED BRATSWORTH NOT POLISH SAUSAGE, THERE IS NO CHOICE FOR BRATS.Remove the skin off the brats.In a skillet, brown the hamburger and the brats together,drain the fat then set aside.After the meat is cooled,chop the meat in a food processor until the meat is very fine.Set aside.
- Boil the rice following instructions on package,let cool and add to the meat.Chop the onion very fine and add to the mixture.
- Next, in a small bowl combine garlic,pepper,salt,basil,paprika, and thyme. Blend well and add to the meat.Set aside.
- NOW IT"S THYME to start stuffing the cabbage leaves.Using one leaf at a time, remove the small part of the leaf at the bottom that was attached to the core, this will help the leaf be a little bit more flexiable.Lay on a flat surface.Take 1,2 or 3 tablespoons of the mixture and place in the center of the leaf.Tuck the sides of the leaf in first then roll. Use a tooth pick or two to keep the rolled leaf's together.
- FOR THE SAUCE:Combine the chopped tomato's,beef broth,pizza sauce and Woreshire sauce.Mix very well and pour over the cabbage rolls.Take the remaining cabbage leafs and spread across the rolls, this will keep the moisture inches.
- These can be baked in the oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees or in a crock pot on low for 8 hours, your choice.I like them better in the crock personally.