Recipe by CHRISSYG
Ok, so how can something that's low carb AND low fat be so tasty? Trust me, this recipe is a keeper. I took the idea of using chopped cauliflower from Blane Jelus, (Blane's low carb kitchen) and applied it to my own stuffed cabbage recipe.
Top Review by Dantana
This was the best stuffed cabage receipe we came across and if we were not lazy we would have made it as written! Unfortunately, we are a lazy group so we made it into a casserole! We chopped the cabbage (sauteed in butter until slightly wilted) and then followed the instructions to a T. It was a knockout! Great recepie! Thank you thank you!!!!
- 1 head green cabbage, 2lb
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey (I use half ground breast and half 93% lean turkey)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce (no sugar added)
- 2 cups chopped raw cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup locatelli cheese
for the sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300degrees Fahrenheit.
- Core head of cabbage with the tip of a very sharp knife.
- Place in pot of boiling water (enough to completely cover).
- As the leaves begin to soften, pull them off and return head to the water.
- Cut the large thick vein off the back of each leaf in a deep V pattern.
- Mix together the next ten ingredients.
- Place just enough meat mixture on the cabbage leaves so that you can roll up without squishing out the sides. Work from the thickest side towards you, fold over the meat, then fold the sides in and finish rolling away from you.
- Place in glass baking dish, seam side down. Finish stuffing all cabbage leaves with the meat mixture.
- In a large bowl, stir together crushed tomatoes, thyme both peppers, brown sugar substitute and water, (just enough to thin out).
- Pour tomato mixture over the stuffed cabbage, and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 300 about 1-1/2 hours (Until cabbage is quite soft).