1/1 Photo of Stuffed Cabbage Leaves (Kaaldolmer)
2 hrs 15 mins
Stuffed cabbage leaves are popular all over the world, and in Scandinavia cabbage leaves are filled with well-seasoned tidbits. This recipe can be prepared in advance and reheated in their sauce just before serving. This recipe is from Scandia's in Los Angeles, and the recipe is from "A Treasury of Great Recipes" by Mary & Vincent Price. This is great served with mashed potatoes and buttered green beans as a main dish, or it can be used as an appetizer serving the individual rolls.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large cabbage
- 2 tablespoons rice
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb ground veal, may substitue ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, ground
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- 12 teaspoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Cut the core from a large cabbage and cook in salted water for 15 minutes. Drain, cool slightly, and remove 24 large outer leaves.
- 2Simmer 2 tbsp rice in 2 cups milk for 40 minutes. Cool.
- 3Mix 1/2 lb ground pork, 1/2 lb ground veal or sirloin, and 1 tsp salt. Gradually beat in 5 eggwhites, one at a time, beating vigorously after each addition. Slowly add the rice mixture to make a smooth creamy filling. Stir in 1/4 tsp ground white pepper and 1 medium onion, minced.
- 4Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 5Cut the heavy thick part of the stalks from the cabbage leaves. Take one leaf at a time and overlap slightly to close up the opening left by removing the stalk. Put a tablespoon of the meat filling on each leaf. Roll leaf over once, turn sides over filling, then roll to the end of leaf, completely enclosing the filling.
- 6Arrange the rolls in a buttered baking pan (9x12 1/2 inches). Add 1 10 1/2 oz can of beef consomme and spread each roll with 1/2 tsp molasses. Bake in the moderately hot oven for 30 minutes. Turn each roll and bake for 30 minutes longer.
- 7Arrange the cabbage rolls side by side in a warm serving casserole.
- 8For the sauce:.
- 9Stir into liquid remaining in pan: 1/2 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp water. Cook over direct heat, stirring, for 2 minutes. Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Cabbage Leaves (Kaaldolmer)
Serving Size: 1 (484 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 374.0
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 83.0 mg
- Sodium 846.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 28.3 g