Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped fine
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons dried dill
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon (optional)
- 2 -3 sprigs of fresh mint
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄4 cup yellow split peas
- 1 head cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup cream (optional) or 1⁄4 cup sour cream (optional)
- To make the filling: Cook the onions in 2 Tablespoons of the butter until golden.
- Add the ground beef and cook until brown.
- Reduce heat and add the lemon juice,sugar,pepper and salt.
- Mix the tomato paste with the warm water then add to the meat mixture.
- Add half of the beef broth.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Saute parsley,scallions,dill,tarragon and mint in 2 T of butter and add to the meat.
- Stir and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice.
- Boil the yellow split peas in 1 cup salted water for 15 minutes,drain then add to the mixture.
- To prepare cabbage leaves: Separate cabbage leaves from the main stem and drop into boiling salted water.
- Boil for 3 minutes.
- Drain but be careful not to break or tear them.
- Spread the leaves flat,one at a time and fill the center of each leaf with 2 or 3 Tablespoons of filling.
- Fold over the edges of the leaves and roll from the stem end toward the top of the leaf.
- If you need to you may remove the tough stems with a knife.
- When you use the smaller leaves 2 or 3 can be overlapped,filled and rolled up.
- Put the stuffed leaves in a baking dish.
- Warm the remaining 1T.
- of butter and the remaining half can of beef broth,stir in the tomato sauce and pour over the stuffed cabbage.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Warm the cream or sour cream and spoon it over the cabbage before serving.