Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cabbage leaves rolled and filled with rice,herbs and nuts. Easy no fuss recipe.
Make and share this Stuffed Cabbage Leaf Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- 6 -8 outer cabbage leaves
- 250 g cooked rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and grated rind,plus 2 slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts or 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped of fresh mint
- 1 cup tomato juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- Blanch cabbage leaves in boiling water to soften.
- Heat olive oil and toss in the onion and garlic.
- Fry for 5 minutes over moderate heat.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley and mint and fry for 4 minutes more.
- Mix together the tomato juice, rice,pinenuts or sunflower seeds, lemon juice and rind, season well with salt and pepper.
- Roll 3- 4 tablespoons in each leaf, tucking in the edges to make a neat parcel.
- Pack together tightly in a shallow pan, pour over the tomato juice and throw in the two slices of lemon.
- Simmer for 20- 30 minutes over gentle heat, with a tight fitting lid on.
- Rolls can be served hot or cold.
This is a wonderful vegetarian/vegan version of cabbage rolls. When I made this, the instructions were a bit confusing. in step 7 it is referring to the rice mixture and step 8 refers to the tomato juice mixture. Thanks, Sueie! Made for my friend who's child has PKU.