Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my recipe, I was hungry for stuffed cabbage, so I just started throwing things together and came up with this. My son & boyfriend said it was excellent. I hope you like it as much as I did making it.
- 1 large head of cabbage (3 to 3 1/2 lbs)
- add water, to cover cabbage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb mixed ground veal or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 cups milk
- Rinse and cut core from cabbage.
- Put cabbage in pot and boiling water to cover and 1 tsp salt.
- Cover and simmer about 5 minutes, or until leaves are softened.
- Carefully separate cabbage leaves and set aside on paper towel to drain.
- Mix together veal or beef, 1/2 cup rice, 1 1/4 cups milk, bread crumbs, onion, 2 1/2 tsp salt and nutmeg.
- Cabbage Rolls.
- Place a small cabbage leaf in the center of a large leaf.
- Drop about 1/2 cup of meat mixture onto the center of each small leaf.
- Roll each leaf, tucking ends in toward center.
- Fasten with tooth picks.
- Bring water and salt to boil in pot.
- Add cabbage rolls one at a time so water continues to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Carefully remove rolls with a slotted spoon.
- Remove tooth picks.
- Place rolls in a serving dish and serve with gravy and lingonberry preserves.