Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
This is VERY good!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 quart sauerkraut
- 46 ounces tomato juice
- 1 ounce vinegar
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 lbs smoked sausage, cut in 3 inch pieces
- Mix ground beef, ground pork, salt, rice, onion, black pepper, eggs and paprika all together.
- Core cabbage and place in steamer till leaves are tender and able to be pulled off easily.
- Peel off what you can and return to steamer till other leaves can be pulled off easily -- repeat till leave get small.
- Stuff cabbage leaves with meat mixture till all meat is gone, judge amount by size of leaves.
- Shred rest of cabbage into large roasting pan, add 1/2 jar of sauerkraut.
- Put rolls ontop of cabbage and sauerkraut.
- Top with the rest of the sauerkraut.
- Add vinegar to Tomato Juice and pour over rolls add water to cover.
- Add 3 cloves, 1 bay leaf, peppercorns and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place sausage on top of rolls and cover and cook at 325 for 3 hours.
This was very good. Makes a great big pan! Easy to follow directions. The leftovers freeze and re-heat well. Thanks Kasia - you ROCK!