Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This is how this dish is prepared by my mother and was prepared by hers.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon rice, uncooked
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon sauteed onion
- salt and pepper
- 1 large head cabbage
- 2 onions, sliced
- 6 dried apricots
- 6 prunes
- 1⁄4 cup white raisins
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 30 ounces water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- Make the Rolls:.
- Soak the cabbage in hot (boiling) water to soften (or freeze and thaw).
- Mix all other ingredients together.
- Separate the leaves from the head of cabbage carefully - you don't want them to rip. Cut out the bottom portion of the thick, central rib of each leave (but not too much). You're going to roll the cabbage leaves around the stuffing.
- Roll a portion of the meat mixture in each cabbage leaf. I roll up from the bottom (one fold), then the sides, and then the remainder of the leave from the bottom toward the top.
- For the Sauce:.
- Saute the onions in a large pot.
- Add apricots, prunes, raisins, lemon juice, one can sauce, 15 oz water, and brown sugar. Simmer 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 275 about 15 minutes before the end of the one-hour simmer.
- Cook the rolls:.
- Add the cabbage rolls to the sauce.
- Cover with the second can of sauce and 15 oz water.
- Dice any remaining leaves of cabbage and add to sauce.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Add additional lemon juice to taste.
Perfection and wouldn't change a thing.
I tried this as an alternative to my "Grossingers" recipe - I really liked the addition of prunes and apricots. This was wonderful-we love stuffed cabbage. Thanks Steve