- 1 large butternut squash, about 850g
- 40 g butter
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 6 slices streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse grain mustard
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 50 g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 50 g white breadcrumbs
- 75 g lancashire cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre -heat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
- Halve the butternut squash, remove the seeds and put on a baking tray cut side up.
- Dot the flesh with half the butter, cover loosely with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion and bacon in the oil and remaining butter until the onion is soft and the bacon crisp.
- Put in a bowl and stir in the mustard, thyme, walnuts, breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Season and pile onto the squash.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes more, or until squash is completely tender and the cheese has melted.
- Cut in half to give 4 portions, and serve.