Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A burst of fresh veggies hidden in every bite!
- 1 fresh garlic clove (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup red onion (peeled and minced)
- 1⁄4 cup tomatoes (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper (seeded and minced)
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb ground turkey breast or 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 vidalia onions (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- In mixing bowl, combine garlic, red onion, tomato, bell pepper, basil, & oregano. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- In separate mixing bowl, combine meat, egg, salt, pepper, & Worcestershire sauce.
- Shape meat into eight very thin patties. Spoon 1 Tbsp of vegetable mixture in center of 4 patties. Place other 4 patties on top of topped patties. Flatten and press edges together to seal.
- In skillet, heat oil over medium heat and sauté 1/2 the vidalia onions until golden. Set aside & keep warm.
- In skillet, cook meat 5-8 minutes each side, to desired doneness.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Return browned onions to skillet and warm. Serve hamburgers open faced, topped with browned onions and desired condiments.
Thank you for sharing such a great recipe. I will definitely be making these again.
Mims & Squims these burger were AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! I used ground sirloin to make them. I took the suggestion of another review and suted the veggies first. I also some minced mushrooms to the veggies and parmesian cheese to the ground beef. What a wonderful surprise when you bit into it. This recipe will definitely go in my burger rotation!
We really like these, but I think next time I may saute the veggies before I put them into the burgers. I may even try them under the grill too!