Recipe by Jostlori
You can stuff these indian buns with chicken or paneer (a fresh crumbly cheese from India). From indian food blog: Sailu's Kitchen
Top Review by IngridH
These were great! I made 1/2 with paneer, 1/2 with chicken. I used a bit more cumin and garam masala than called for- maybe 1/8 teaspoon of each. These had a very nice flavor, and a little residual heat that stayed with you after each bite. The chicken and paneer versions tasted distinctly different, but both were wonderful. Three of us scarfed down the entire recipe for lunch, we liked them that much. I'd like to try to freeze these, they'd be great in brown bag lunches. Made for ZWT8.
- 14.79 ml active dry yeast
- 29.58 ml warm water
- 118.29 ml milk
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 532.32 ml flour
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 egg white
- white sesame seeds, for sprinkling
FOR CHICKEN FILLING
- 354.88 ml chicken, cooked and shredded or 354.88 ml panir
- 1 onion, minced
- 4.92 ml ginger-garlic paste
- 4.92 ml red chili powder
- 7.39 ml coriander powder
- 0.25 ml cumin, ground
- 0.25 ml garam masala
- 29.58 ml coriander leaves (finely chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water with 1/2 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tbsp flour. Leave aside for 10 mts.
- Boil the milk and cool till it is warm on touch. Add sugar, oil and salt.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon till the sugar dissolves. Add 1 cup flour and mix to a smooth paste.
- Add the beaten egg, yeast and mix. Add the remaining flour and mix well till it forms a smooth dough.
- Knead well for 10 mts. Let it rest till it doubles in volume (approx an hour or two). While its resting prepare the chicken filling.
- Punch down the dough lightly using your palm and divide the dough equally.
- Flatten each portion and fill with 1 tbsp of the chicken filling. Re-shape into a smooth ball. Sprinkle the top with sesame seeds.
- Let it sit/prove for another 20 minutes.
- Bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees C for 10-12 mts. When it starts to brown, brush tops with egg white.
- FOR CHICKEN FILLING:.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add the onions and saute for 4 mts. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 4 mts.
- Reduce the heat, add the red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Add the shredded chicken and mix well. Add salt to taste. Cook for 3 mts.
- Turn off heat and cool. Add coriander leaves and mix.