Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great recipe to take to a gathering because it is easy to make and serves plenty of people.
- 2 loaves French bread
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Slice the French breads in half lengthwise. Tear out little pieces of the soft bread inside (not all of it!) from the top and bottom of the bread and put it in bowl.
- In a large pot, brown your meats along with your bell pepper and onion.(You can add some of your favorite seasoning at this point, I use Tony Chacheres). Drain, and return to pot, on med. heat.
- Add the cubed Velveeta, bread chunks, and mushroom soup and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- Spoon the mixture into the hollowed bottom part of the french breads and replace the tops of the bread. Wrap in foil and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice like you would a loaf of bread and serve!
I have tried this same recipe after watching an episode of Emeril Live! Quick note: completly drain/rinse meats after cooking to cut out the greasiness. I also added 2 chopped jalepeno's to give it a "bam" and you could substitute cream cheese for the velvetta cheese