Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These yummy burgers were found in the May 2004 issue of Southern Living.....They recommend serving with seasoned steak fries. Enjoy.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (4 1/4 ounce) canchopped ripe olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fajita seasoning mix
- 6 slices monterey jack pepper cheese (1 ounce each)
- 6 onion rolls, split and toasted
- shredded lettuce
- sliced tomatoes
Tex Mex Secret Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Combine first six ingredients.
- Shape mixture into 12 four inch patties.
- Fold cheese slices into quarters.
- Place cheese on each of six patties.
- Top with remaining six patties, pressing to seal edges.
- Grill, with lid on, for four to five minutes over medium high heat on each side or until done.
- For the Tex Mex Secret Sauce.
- Combine Sour Cream, Ketchup, Green Chilies and Fresh Cilantro and chill until ready to use.
- Serve burgers on Onion rolls with the Secret Sauce and toppings--.
I made these for my family last night and they were a BIG hit. We forgot to use the secret sauce, but they were awesome with the usual ketchup, mustard, lettuce, pickle and tomato.
Very good burger. The seasonings are not too spicy and next time I might add a bit more--but that may be because I didn't have pepper jack cheese and just used cheddar. I omitted olives and added extra onion. Thanks for sharing.
I have made something like this in the past, don't think I will put the olives in it next time they seem to burn a bit if they are on the outside, but it is a make again recipe for sure....