1/5 Photos of Stuffed Black Mushrooms
Karen Elizabeth's Note:
This is a very popular dish here in South Africa. My cousin-in-law makes these often, especially for breakfast (without the wine!), and varies the fillings. It's a good side dish for summer barbeques! If you are not going to use the wine, substitute 1/2 cup of vegetable stock. The mushrooms can be stuffed and refrigerated a day in advance, which is a bonus if you are pressed for time
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large portabella mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- olive oil (for frying)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup white wine (or pale sherry )
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup pecorino cheese
- chopped fresh parsley
- 4 -8 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- dried rosemary
- salt and black pepper
- 1Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and chop.
- 2Sautee the onion, garlic and chopped mushroom stalks in olive oil until the onion is soft, then remove from the heat.
- 3Mix the breadcrumbs, parsley, herbs and cheese together.
- 4Add the wine and melted butter to the saucepan, then add the dry ingredients.
- 5Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6Lay the mushrooms on a greased baking sheet and mould a large spoonful of the mixture into each one.
- 7Bake at 180C/350F for 20 mins, until the stuffing starts to turn golden.
- 8Serve on a crouton of fried bread (ideal for not wasting the delicious juices), or on a bed of mixed leaves (rocket works well), or both.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Black Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.9
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 41.5 mg
- Sodium 405.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 9.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves