Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an easy yet flavorful recipe that I threw together one night. It was such a success that I've made it at least once a month since! Use your favorite salsa for this recipe - it calls for quite a lot of it so if you don't like your food too spicy, make sure you use something mild. There is no meat in the recipe but I can see it being very tasty with some diced chicken added in when the tomatos and onions are cooking. Feel free to experiment! NOTE: You will not use the entire can of refried black beans for this recipe, I'm just not sure of the exact measurements. Spreading a thin layer of beans on each tortillia will suffice.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can refried black beans
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 flour tortillas (8-10 inches round)
- Heat up the oil in a frying pan and saute the onions, garlic and spices for about 10 minutes over medium-low heat or until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and salsa and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a seperate bowl and rinse out the pan.
- Spread a thin layer of the beans on top of the entire tortilla (having the beans on both sides of the quesadilla keeps it from falling apart).
- Spoon 1/4 of the onion mixture over just half of each tortilla and top with 2 oz of cheese. Fold the tortilla in half so that it forms a half circle. Repeat with the other 3 tortillas.
- Heat up more oil in the pan and fry the quesadillas over medium-low heat, until both sides are browned and the cheese is melted.
- Top with your favorite mexican condiments (I'm a huge avocado fan!).
Yum, delicious! I ended up using about half the can of beans for the four quesadillas. I used corn tortillas to make it gluten free and topped with sour cream and guacamole I whipped up while the quesadillas were cooking. Thanks for sharing! Veggie Swap 46
Beautiful! This is so amazingly great, the black refried beans are the top of the barrel here. This addition really sets this apart from other quesadillas recipes. I used a hot salsa - because I personally love all things hot, and even with that addition - the black beans have a way of keeping the spice at bay. I threw the avocado right in with the rest of the filling ingredients - and topped with fresh cilantro and sour cream! Thanks for posting!!