Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are really tasty,hardy, and great for a green pepper lover. I also add pieces of the green pepper tops when I'm browning the meat. These are great with some crusty Italian bread, and very filling.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 3⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 green peppers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups water
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- Prepare rice according to directions; meanwhile, brown beef and onion until pan juices have evaporated.
- Remove to a large bowl.
- To meat add salt, oregano, pepper, rice, and 2 cups of spaghetti sauce.
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds and dry pulp.
- Stuff the peppers with the meat mixture and arrange in a baking pan or electric frying pan.
- Add remaining sauce and water to the pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until the peppers are tender.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and heat till cheese melts, about 3 minutes.
Halved the recipe as there were just two of us. Very tasty and a nice change from the traditional stuffed peppers. DH elected to have his over pasta and will take leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
First, I par boiled the peppers for 3 minutes. Then I browned 70 percent ground turkey/30 beef, with minced garlic, chopped onion, basil, oregano and chopped up the pepper tops. Added the cooked rice(I used brown) then my own tomato sauce and a little fresh grated parmesan cheese. Stuffed the peppers and baked them for 50ish minutes. They were delicious and easy to make!
I was looking for a stuffed peppers recipe that used spaghetti sauce, and this is the one I chose. I added whole kernal corn to the mixture. I also stuffed the peppers, put them in a West Bend slow cooker, and topped them with extra sauce, then cooked them on low for 6 hours instead of putting the rest of the sauce around them and baking them. They were delicious! Thanks for posting a delicious, easy, and versatile stuffed pepper recipe!