Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I learned to make stuffed vegetables from my Turkish landlady in Ankara and over the years have made modifications such as in this recipe.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 cups uncooked Minute Rice
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts (optional)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley or 1⁄4 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 10 large green peppers (a mix is pretty) or 10 large red peppers (a mix is pretty) or 10 large yellow peppers (a mix is pretty)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can water
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 3 pinches mint
- salt and pepper
- Mix all filling ingredients well and stuff the peppers.
- Place in large baking dish (can also be done in electric skillet or on stove top).
- Mix sauce ingredients and pour small amount over each pepper and rest in bottom of dish or pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees, covered, for about 1-1/2 hours.
- Pass the sauce at the table.
- I usually slice the peppers in half lenghtwise on a platter to serve and garnish with parsley or whatever.
- NOTE: I usually double the sauce to go with any leftovers.
- Also, if there is leftover meat mixture after stuffing peppers, I make into large meatballs and place in dish with peppers- this is great for people that don't care for the peppers.