Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A slightly different take on the traditional stuffed peppers. I love making homemade garlic bread with these and be sure to put the parmesan cheese on the table for the extra-cheese lovers!
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup instant rice, cooked
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 large bell peppers, tops cut and insides cleaned. (red or green)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet saute onions and garlic in oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook for 10 minutes breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon.
- Drain oil.
- Stir in cooked rice.
- Sprinkle in oregano, salt and pepper.
- Add ONE can of tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle in around 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese.
- Cook stirring until cheese is melted.
- Place the peppers in a large steamer and cook until tender.
- Stuff each pepper with hamburger mixture.
- Put some tomato sauce at the bottom of a large baking dish and arrange peppers standing up.
- Pour remaining sauce and water over the peppers and top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until cheese is melted.
- Serve with garlic bread and parmesan cheese, if desired.