Recipe by Michelle S.
I am trying to lighten my diet and LOVE stuffed Peppers but cannot have the rice in them. I was inspired to create a new recipe by embellishing (The Ala Frey) and using two recipes from two great Zaar chefs! Mirj inspired me with Mother of Invention Crockpot Klops Mother of Invention Crock Pot Klops amd mickie49 with Tomato-wine sauce Tomato-Wine Sauce. A little bit of this a little bit of that and a pretty palatable meal was created! I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did. You can use any tomato sauce, but I wouldn't even THINK of using another. It is perfection and blends so well with the peppers.
Top Review by mickie49
Michelle these were wonderful---I usually don't care for stuffed peppers but obviously had to try this recipe! I used red peppers and ground turkey--otherwise followed recipe as written. They were sooooo yunmmy, we ate and ate! Served with Pumpkinhead's wonderful parmesan spinach and some linguine with garlic and olive oil--terrific meal! This is definitely going into my Family Favorites cookbook, thanks again for all your kind words and this terrific recipe!
- 3 large green peppers
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup diced fresh celery
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil (vegetable or enova oil)
- 3 -4 cups seasoned tomato sauce (use Tomato-Wine Sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash peppers. Cut them in half at the stem. Clean the seeds and membrane from then and place them in a 9x13 pan.
- Wash the zucchini and cut them into quarters and finely slice them.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Saute the zucchini, mushrooms, celery, zucchini, onion and garlic until the vegetables are softened.
- Set aside and cool.
- While vegetables are cooling, mix well the ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, garlic granules, paprika, salt and pepper.
- When veggies are cool, mix into the ground beef mixture.
- Evenly distribute the beef amongst the pepper halves in the pan.
- Pour Sauce over all.
- Cover pan with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Check to see if peppers are done to your desire tenderness.
- If not continue cooking uncovered until the peppers are done.