If you have a bumper-crop of peppers from your garden, you may want to give this one a try!
Make and share this Stuffed Bell Peppers recipe from Food.com.
- 6 medium green peppers
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup cooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (you can use dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh sweet basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and core the peppers; remove seeds; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in skillet.
- Add crushed tomatoes, garlic and basil.
- Once mixture begins to bubble, cook low and simmer 5-7 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix together ground beef, cooked rice, egg, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Stuff each pepper with the meat mixture.
- Place peppers in a roaster which has been coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour cooked tomato sauce over peppers.
- Cover and bake 45-50 minutes, or until peppers are crisp/tender.
These were easy and yummy. Dh loves stuffed peppers, and he says they were good in every way except the meat filling could use more flavor. Next time I'll probably spice it up with some salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
I made this tonight and it was a real family pleaser! The only changes that I made were... First I cut the peppers in half lenght wise cored and cleaned then, I didn't want to take the time to prepare rice so I skipped it. I also had some prego sauce that I wanted to use so I used it in place of the tomatoes. I put in a little italian seasoning along with the basil too. After they had baked I topped with shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese and a little parsley for garnish. How Pretty! Next time I will not skip the rice, I think that would of helped on the texture of the meat. Thank you for posting. I will be useing this recipe again, and again! Rachel Castle
Oh my goodness this was so divine! I've never had stuffed peppers like this before. So moist and juicy with a wonderful sauce. I topped the peppers with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese just before putting them in the oven and they were amazing. Thanks so much for posting your recipe!