Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is Vinuta S. Chitwadgi's recipe from the Thursday magazine. It won her Rial Omani 20 for submitting this to the What's Cooking column contest! Its really very very good!
- 5 small bell peppers, washed
- 4 medium onions, peeled, washed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 4 teaspoons fresh coriander leaves, washed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh curry leaf, washed and torn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon grated jaggery
- 1 cup water
- Make 2 slits of one inch each on each of the bell pepper. Keep aside.
- Then, dry roast the peanuts on medium flame in a pan. Grind coarsely in a mixer.
- Now, prepare the stuffing. To do so, heat 4 tsps. of oil in a pan.
- Fry the cumin and asafoetida powders in it.
- Add onion, garlic paste and curry leaves.
- Fry till onions are lightly browned. Allow to cool.
- Put the fried onions and roasted powdered peanuts in it.
- Add all the masala powders, tamarind paste, salt, jaggery and 3 tsps. of chopped corriander leaves. Mix well.
- Stuff this mixture in the bell peppers.
- Heat the remaining oil in a vessel.
- Add the stuffed bell pepper one by one. Stir once, cover with a lid and fry for 1 minute.
- Add water. Allow to simmer for 8 minutes taking care it does not dry up.
- Garnish with corriander leaves. Serve hot with rotis or plain white Basmati rice. Enjoy!