Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a nice stuffed pepper dish that came from a friend from the past. I like this because the meat in this does not turn into a HARD meatball. Pre-cooking it first and then mixing it with the cooked rice is the secret!
- Remove tops and seeds from peppers; parboil peppers for 5 minutes and drain.
- Place peppers in a baking dish.
- Combine ground beef and onion and cook together until done.
- Drain and set aside.
- Prepare Rice-A-Roni according to package directions.
- When rice is done,combine it with the beef and onion.
- Fill peppers with rice mixture.
- Mix the 1 teaspoons sugar with the tomato sauce and pour this AROUND the peppers (not over).
- Cover the baking dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes and then uncover and top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 5 minutes more to melt cheese.
- Serve with the tomato sauce.
This was one delicious meal! I did modify the recipe a bit. Because i didn't have rice-a-roni, I subbed Quick Spanish Rice instead. And when cooking the ground beef, I seasoned with Taco Seasoning Mix. The filling for the pepper was so delicious, I was eating it straight before I even got it into the peppers! This is a great dish-- thanks for posting it.
This recipe was delicious! I never thought to use flavored Rice-A-Roni. I also bought flavored diced tomatoes and didn't have to do any cutting like it stated in the directions for making the rice. I used 6 green peppers and cut them lengthwise. There was filling leftover but I froze it. This was really good!
Very good! There is enough filling for about 9 large peppers. Next time I am going to add diced green pepper with the onion to the filling as we like more green pepper taste. Hotgrandma