Recipe by Theresa P
This is a nice stuffed pepper dish that came from a friend from the past. I like this because the meat in this does not turn into a HARD meatball. Pre-cooking it first and then mixing it with the cooked rice is the secret!
Top Review by childerz
This was one delicious meal! I did modify the recipe a bit. Because i didn't have rice-a-roni, I subbed Recipe # 17126 instead. And when cooking the ground beef, I seasoned with Recipe # 2642. The filling for the pepper was so delicious, I was eating it straight before I even got it into the peppers! This is a great dish-- thanks for posting it.
- 6 medium green peppers
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 (6 7/8 ounce) boxrice-a-roni Spanish rice mix
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes (for use in making the rice)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup American cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove tops and seeds from peppers; parboil peppers for 5 minutes and drain.
- Place peppers in a baking dish.
- Combine ground beef and onion and cook together until done.
- Drain and set aside.
- Prepare Rice-A-Roni according to package directions.
- When rice is done,combine it with the beef and onion.
- Fill peppers with rice mixture.
- Mix the 1 teaspoons sugar with the tomato sauce and pour this AROUND the peppers (not over).
- Cover the baking dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes and then uncover and top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 5 minutes more to melt cheese.
- Serve with the tomato sauce.