Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Meat, Rice, and wonderful seasonings stuffed into a pepper!
- 3 large bell peppers, seeded and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place steamer basket in large saucepan; add 1 inch water, being careful nto to let water touch bottom of basket. Place bell peppers in basket; cover. Bring water to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Steam peppers 8 to 10 minutes or until tender, adding additional water if necessary; drain.
- Combine tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, garlic, ¼ t oregano, and cumin in small bowl. Set aside.
- Thoroughly combine beef, rice, egg white, onion, salt and black pepper in large bowl. Stir 1 C of tomato mixture into beef mixture.
- Spoon filling evenly into pepper halves; place in 13X9 inch baking dish. Cover tightly with foil. Bake 45 minutes or until meat is browned and vegetables are tender. Serve with remaining tomato mixture.