Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Slightly adapted from an old standby -- we use extra mozzarella cheese.
- 6 large bell peppers (any color)
- 1 lb 80% lean ground beef (at least 80% lean)
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- Bring to boil enough water to cover peppers. Cut tops (stem ends) off of peppers and remove seeds and membranes. When water is boiling, carefully drop in hollowed-out peppers and boil for 4 minutes. Remove peppers from water.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- While oven is preheating, brown ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain. Stir in garlic, rice, salt and 1 cup of the tomato sauce. Continue to cook until heated through.
- Stuff peppers with beef mixture. Set stuffed peppers upright in ungreased 8 or 9-inch square glass baking dish. Pour remaining tomato sauce over peppers.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until peppers are tender but firm. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.