Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my husband's favorite meal. Traditional but delicious.
- 4 large bell peppers, any color
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 cup rice, cooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 15 ounces tomato sauce, divided
- 3⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cut thin slice from stem end of each bell pepper to remove top of pepper. Remove seeds and membranes; rinse peppers. Cook peppers in enough boiling water to cover about 5 minutes; drain.
- Cook beef and onion in skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in rice, salt, garlic and 1 cup of tomato sauce; cook until hot.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Stuff peppers with beef mixture. Stand peppers upright in ungreased square baking dish, 8x8x2 inch. Pour remaining tomato sauce over peppers. Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover and bake about 15 minutes longer or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle with cheese.